TOUGH TIMES NEVER LAST BUT TOUGH PEOPLE DO

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Boyhingi

His shirt was painted with mud, his hair was dry and sticky; if my calculations are correct his is between seven to eight years old. But I am certain that his eyes showed the burdens of an adult. Let’s call him Boyhingi.

I saw him yesterday afternoon standing in front of the main entrance of SM North. He was begging for alms. I was relishing my snack. He looked at me. His gaze was filled with hope. I actually guessed what he wanted even without saying a word. So, I came near him and leaned forward; I told him to wait for me. His lips were small and dark but then that did not prevent him from smiling at me when he heard what I said.

My mouth quivered as I hurriedly ate the shawarma sandwich in my right hand. I was quite disturbed with the thought that he is watching me savour the taste of my snack. He patiently stood there. Perhaps, he was wondering why I asked him to wait for me. When I finished my sandwich I grabbed his left hand without any hesitation. I told him to come with me. We were about to enter the mall when he suddenly said “Bawal po kami diyan sa loob.” Being taken aback by what he said I asked him “Kumakain ka ba ng donut? Ibibili na lang kita sa loob ha. Dito ka lang.” So I had to leave him there as I purchased donuts for him. I don’t have much money yesterday and I wished I could give him more. I felt so guilty that with God’s many blessing I could only do so much for this boy.

After coming out from the donut store, I went straight to him to hand the bag of donuts. I was about to ask him where his parents were, but he went away after receiving what I gave him. I was left there hanging and wondering what will happen to him some years from now.

Many times, I encounter children like Boyhingi in the streets. I see them coming up jeepneys wiping the shoes of strangers they don’t know. I meet them in the church selling sampaguita garlands. I see them everywhere. We see them everywhere. Some people would just give them coins just to avoid the nuisance they bring whenever they ask for alms. Others would blame their parents for their misery. Tsk! Tsk!

With the naked eye, he might look less of a darling to any of us. But he is an angel in the eyes of God. When you see him around, think of him as God’s little messenger. He is inviting you to do good.

4 comments:

Aeon said...

An agent of change. May God bless you.

We all ask how we could change the world. Sabi nga ni God kay Evan Almighty - Acts of Random Kindness.

Chelle Batanes said...

thanx aeon!!!

Anino said...

Sana dumami ang lahi mo,ay natin pala.Hahaha.Happy holidays!

Chelle Batanes said...

ngek!! wala akong halo noh!!! heheh minsan may sungay din ako