TOUGH TIMES NEVER LAST BUT TOUGH PEOPLE DO

Sunday, October 12, 2008

HAPPY INJURY


My co-worker Mike would often tell me “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.” I bet that’ s why despite the pain I went thru because of a tendon discontinuation I am still very happy. Who wouldn’t be? After what I realized well, I bet if you’re in my shoes you’d feel the same way.

I was injured last Wednesday while chasing one of my students around the campus. He accidentally bumped me and so… I TRIPPED! For balance I used my left hand to support my body. I was not aware that the force was too much. So when I stood up, I felt the rumbling pain all over my left hand. The doctor at work told me to place cold compress on the affected area. I did that, but my wrist was still aching and it swelled like a huge eggplant the next day. I was told that I should have it x-rayed. But since I promised a friend I would be at her birthday party I endured the painm. I thought it would go away with the medication that was given to me.

October 10 came. It was a Friday. I hoped it would be better but the pain got worse. So, after work I decided to have it x-rayed. But I was really afraid. I don’t want to have a cast on my hand. It would be really difficult. I am not ready to hear the bad news alone. So upon arrival at Trinoma where the last station of the MRT was, I contacted people: Sheryl (who is in kamuning relatively near to where I was), Ate Tere (my thoughtful facilitator at SFC who was busy at that time), Marie (my sister who needed sleep badly due to her work schedule)), FJ (a friend from SFC) and Peter (who was in Makati because of work). Replies came that they can’t make it because of inevitable reasons. I was in the verge of going to Orthopaedic Hospital on my own when Peter’s text came thru. He asked me where I was and told me to wait for him there and that he will try his best to be there as fast as he could.

I was STARDDLED…..

I never expected him to be there but he came. He accompanied me to the hospital and assured me that it will be alright. He sat there beside me, patiently telling me to calm down and that he’ll be with me no matter what happens. It was touching and moving. I realized the honesty and sincerity of his friendship. I never felt so secure with anyone for a long time.

So we waited for the result. He was right, it will be alright. The doctor said my hand just needs rest and some medication to relieve the pain.



It was really amazing how things fell into place

I needed the injury in order to realize the care of a great friend.

No comments: